EL CAJON VALLEY HOST LION’S NEWSLETTER
October 16, 2023 Members: 27 Guests: -0-
Facebook: El Cajon Valley Host Lions Club
OPENING: Pres. Carl Ruiz
Song Masters: PP Phil Smith Patriotic Song: God Bless America
Pledge of Allegiance: Carol Livesay Invocation: PP Mark Clifton
GUESTS: Zero, Zip, Zilch, Nada, None
Good to see: Dave Schwab
HELEN KELLER QUOTE BY: Keith MacArthur
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of overcoming it.”
ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER:
.Our “300” Ticket Opportunity Drawing is going well. Of the maximum 300 tickets to be sold less than 100 are remaining to be handed out for sale/resale. We will hold the drawing once all the money has been turned in – the winner taking home $5,000 and the club profiting $10,000. Pick up your tickets and take some on consignment to sell to your friends and relatives. You may have your tickets charged to your club account. See PP Yvonne or PDG Len.
.Treasurer Paul T reported the micro club directories are in – come and get ‘em!
.Treasurer Paul also reported on our club’s financial health. We have over $48K in the bank with assets exceeding $52K.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
Arnold Martin 10/3, Keith Bailes 10/12, Don Anthony 10/13, Zach Nation 10/24, David Huntamer 10/29. Once again Lion Arnold had to endure our rendition of the BDay Song!
GOOD CHEER: PP Gary Robinson is healing from his two cracked ribs.
IF you know of any members who are in distress, sick, or in the hospital, PLEASE notify PP Yvonne so our good wishes can be conveyed to him/her. Paris4L6@cox.net 619/838-4262
Oct 19th – El Cajon Valley Lions Foundation Board Meeting. 6 PM. Elks Lodge Conference Room. All members are invited to attend.
Oct 23rd – District Governor Julio DeGuzman’s official visitation. Please make every effort to attend this meeting.
Nov 4th – District 4L6 Cabinet & Membership Meeting 10 AM – 1 PM Boys and Girls Club 1430 D Avenue, National City ALL ARE WELCOME & encouraged to attend.
Nov 12th – District 4L6 Lion Veteran of the Year Military Luncheon 12-3 PM Royal Banquet Hall 8990 Miramar Rd #200A, San Diego $45 thru Oct 30th – no ticket sales at the door.
DEC 12th – SAVE THE DATE – ECVH LC Christmas Party/Dinner
VICE PRESIDENT REPORTS:
1ST VEEP Keith MacArthur: No Report
2ND VEEP Ron Nevels: MIA
3rd Veep P Bob Sanchez: Our club Christmas Party will be held on Tues, Dec 12th 6 PM at the Elks Lodge. More details to come from Chair PP Phil Smith
Membership Chair Cathy Bailes: MIA
LCIF Coordinator Yvonne Paris: No Report
OCTOBER EXEMPT BADGE: Tom Hoban and Chris Bramwell
HAPPY DOLLARS: TT ___________________________________________
.Bob M $5 was in CO. visiting Grandson Brent who is going to Colorado Springs to pay pro ball.
.Dave S $5 missed a couple of meetings.
.Paul W $5 Aztecs won a game.
.Bob S $5 Happy to see Dallas get whooped!
.Gary S $5 rode his electric bike at the beach.
.Van $5 went to the Bulls Only Rodeo
.Carl $5 Happy to ‘see’ everyone today.
OCT 23rd – District Governor Julio DeGuzman – Official Visitation
Oct 30th – Brent Ford Special Ed.(A&E) Instructor at El Cajon Valley High School
Nov 27th – Cindy Lewis from BLISS acronym for Blessed Low Income Senior Support
WINNER OF ATTENDANCE DRAWING: Coleen Owens $20
WINNER OF OPPORTUNITY DRAWING: Mark Clifton $43 – donated to City of Hope
TODAY’S FUNNY: My dream job would be driving the Karma bus.
ATTENDANCE IS THE PRICE OF MEMBERSHIP
Motto of LCI President Dr. Patti Hill “Changing the World”
ECVH LIONS CLUB
BOARD MEETING MINUTES, OCTOBER 12, 2023
LOCATION: ELKS LODGE
CALL TO ORDER: 6:00 PM ADJOURN: 7:10 PM
PRESENT: Pres. Carl Ruiz, 1st VP Keith MacArthur, 2ndVP Ron Nevels, 3rd VP Bob Sanchez, Treasurer Paul Tremblay, Secretary Paul Walters, Directors Coleen Owens & Dick Nasif, LCIF Yvonne Paris, Membership Cathy Bailes, PDG Len Blottin, PP Mike Raney, PP Mark Clifton, PP Chris Bramwell, Bob Sparks, Christian Wille, Greeter Dolores Galkowski.
MINUTES: Board Meeting minutes from Sept 14th were reviewed. A motion to approve PDG Len Blottin, seconded by Dolores Galkowski, motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report-Paul Tremblay, as of Sept 30, 2023
General Fund Account $ 45,204. 92
Activities Fund Account $ 3,418.10
City of Hope $ 244.68
Members Current Account $ 3,365.09
Total Assets $ 52,232.79 File For Audit
- District 4L6 2nd Membership Meeting, Nov. 4th.
- Foundation Meeting, Nov. 19th.
- Funding Request by Zahara Almosawi: A motion was made by PP Mark Clifton to deny the request since there is no provision for academic scholarships for past Leo Members, second by Dick Nasif, motion carried. PP Mike Raney will contact Zahara.
- Funding request by Jason Gibbs, El Cajon Valley HS Wrestling Team: The Board wanted more information for the types of equipment and estimated cost. Sec. Paul will contact Jason Gibbs.
- Pancake Breakfast accident: Sec. Paul reported a lady fell on the dance floor, 911 was called and the paramedics evaluated the person, and took her to the hospital for further evaluation. Sec. Paul contacted the Elks Ruler, Wayne Allen, and received an Elks Accident Report form which was filed out by Sec. Paul and 1st VP Keith MacArthur and given to Elks Secretary Patti Hamilton.
- 300 Ticket Fundraiser: PP Yvonne Paris reported sales are going well, 127 left to sell, and many are on consignment.
,Membership (Chair Cathy Bailes)
- Cathy reported 5 people signed up for more information about the El Cajon Valley Lions Club. She has contacted all five people; one will visit the club on Oct. 23.
1st VP Keith MacArthur
- Pancake Breakfast Review: Keith reported many people went back or additional food, and the food ran out twice. It was proposed next year additional tickets will be required for those who want more food, maybe additional tickets at a lower cost, and only Lions will collect tickets next year.
- Sec. Paul will provide thank you letters for Brothers Café and the Leos.
- Casino: Keith will organize a committee.
2nd VP Ron Nevels
- Social Services (Chair Cathy Bailes): Nothing to report.
- Programs (Chair Cathy Bailes): Cathy reported she has a speaker for Oct. 30th.
- Student Eyeglass Program (Chair PP Chris Bramwell): Chris visited the nurses at the school districts using the SPOT machines to see how many children have been screened and referred. He received a funding request from Dr. Patel for past eyes exams for $900. Treasurer Paul Tremblay gave a check to PP Chris to be delivered to Dr. Patel.
- Student Speakers Contest (Chair PP Yvonne Paris): Yvonne reported the contest will be on Feb. 10, 2024, at the ECPD Community room at 1PM.
3rd VP Bob Sanchez
- Xmas Baskets: PP Mark Clifton said he will know more after meeting with PP Bob Moreau.
- Xmas Party: Dick Nasif reported the party will be on Dec. 12, and gave the menu and Elk’s contract to Paul Tremblay. He requested Sec. Paul to provide the LCI Liability Insurance Certificate. Bob will contact PP Phil Smith for planning the event.
- Club Visitation: PP Gary Robinson is absent; Bob will contact him.
- Club Picnic review: Rita’s catering was three times more than in the past. Lion Bob Sparks, Keith MacArthur, and Rob Ransweiler have volunteered to cook next year at a reduced rate.
LCIF Coordinator (PP Yvonne Paris)
- Nothing to report.
Good Of The Order
- Placemats: Paul Tremblay reported we will review those who have purchased spaces at the next Board meeting.
Next Board Meeting: NOV 09, 2023, 6 PM, Elks Conference Room.
Submitted by Secretary Paul Walters, 10-16-23
23-24 SEC BOARD MINUTES 10-12-23 c/doc/lib